What do you think is the best name for a Pop music magazine?

Monday 18 February 2013

Internet Research - Circulation/readership Figures

I am doing some research into circulation figures for various music magazines to analyse readership figures and rates of success for my own music magazine. As I am planning to produce quite a mainstream magazine I am going to focus of NME or Q however, these magazines have quite a range of genres within the magazine and have quite a rock music nature, whereas I will lean more towards pop music.

Music (rock) magazine sales in the first half of 2012 (source ABC)
Name of title : publisher ; per issue sale ; percentage change year on year
The Fly (free) : Channelfly Enterprises Ltd ; 108,827 ; 8.4%
Mojo : Bauer Consumer Media ; 85,149 ; -2.4%
Properganda (free) : Proper Music Distribution ; 76,339 ; 68.8%
Q : Bauer Consumer Media ; 64,596 ; -19.7%
Uncut : IPC Media Ltd ; 63,003 ; -4.5%
The Stool Pigeon (free) : Junko Partners Publishing ; 54,588 ; N/A
Kerrang! : Bauer Consumer Media ; 40,203 ; -6.6%
New Musical Express : IPC Media Ltd ; 23,924 ; -17.6%

From this evidence we can see that most issues distributed are the magazines that are free. The website states that, "Overall circulation within the sector was up by 14.5 per cent to 516,629, but this was down to the presence of free titles such The Fly, Propaganda and The Stool Pigeon." Also we can see that many popular magazines including the two I am studying (Q and NME) have decreased in sales by 19.7% and by 17.6% this could be due to the current economic climate, therefore due to these reasons I have concluded that I should keep my prices low to increase my readership figures. By doing this I hope to gain more readers and create the next popular music magazine.


Some pop magazine figures that I managed to find are:
Top of the Pops : 78,352 - % change y/y: -20.1 - Sold copies: 78,352
We Love Pop Magazine : 50,505 - % change y/y: - Sold copies: 50,505
Mizz : 25,753 - % change y/y: -28.1 - Sold copies: 25,715

From the information above it is clear that sales are decreasing in all pop magazines, the most popular of theses three, 'Top of the Pops Magazine' has even seen a fall in sales of -20.1 in 2012. This could indicate that there is a market for a new, fresh and different pop magazine to cater to the young generation with a new take on pop music.

This is the website which I found the figures above.

No comments:

Post a Comment